Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Notes from the Shepherd's Conference

Breakout Session #1
Godly Leadership (I Corinthians 4:14-21)
Working definition of leadership: Influence that leads others to follow Christ
Male leadership originates in Genesis; Men are to lead at home and in the Church
In Genesis we find the equality of man and woman; there is a difference in roles (headship and helper)
Because of the fall and because of selfishness, man can lead wrongly.
Paul is addressing arrogance, worldly wisdom, self-sufficiency, and selfishness in his conclusion of I Corinthians 4.
Marks or characteristics of Godly leadership (fathers, church leaders, etc.):
1)    Concern (vv. 14-15, 21):  We should lead with compassion and genuine concern for people. Paul is not manipulating or scolding his audience. Paul had deep love and concern for the Corinthians. Paul wanted them to change because he cared for their own good. Paul says, “I do not want to humiliate or beat you down (ashamed) you, but change your thinking (admonish). Paul’s rebuke is proof of his love (Proverbs 27:5-6). Look at the phrases “beloved Children” and “father.” Paul is in leadership because he loves the Lord and sincerely loves those he is leading. There is joy that comes from self-sacrifice and placing others before self – this motivation overrides all other motives in spiritual leadership. Please Lord provide grace for me to be that kind of husband, father, and pastor lest I become demanding, impatient, domineering or passive and complacent. If I desire to glorify God and I love others I will not be selfishly domineering or selfishly absent, but lovingly engaged. This necessitates that you be a “people person.” When pastors say they “love being a pastor” but really are not a “people person,” they cannot be pastors. It is like a shepherd saying, “I love being a shepherd, but I hate sheep.” You cannot be a pastor unless you love people (Read I Peter 5; I Thessalonians 2 – I wasn’t there to download Greek and Hebrew to you, but to give you my very life). Christ wasn’t the “good cowboy” driving cattle, but the “Good Shepherd” leading sheep.
2)    Character (vv.16-18): This is not an arrogant statement on Paul’s part (1 Corinthians 11:1). Paul is not desiring to build followers of himself, but Christ (1 Corinthians 11). Here Paul displays the certainty that if others begin to follow His life, they will find Christ. Paul is not being arrogant, but he is being very bold. I someone imitated my every thought, priority, and decision this week, would they holy and pleasing to God, drawing closer to Jesus? Oh Lord, have mercy and give grace; help my life to be worth imitating. May I represent Psalm 15:1-2. This is why Paul sends Timothy in v. 17. I must strive after Christ, labor over the Word, and pour over It in prayer and then get myself around other people. My integrity is my greatest asset. Lord, help me not to do this “right” in the church at the expense of my family. Ecclesiastes 10:1, “Dead flies make a perfumer’s ointment give off a stench; so a little foolishness outweighs wisdom and honor.” A little bit of foolishness destroys all of my reading, education, talent, and wisdom. I need to build integrity and trust and guard it continually. I have failed today if I have not taken measured steps towards increased godliness.  Lord, please help me admit bad decisions humbly and learn from the criticism of others.
3)    Courage (v. 19): Willingness to pay the price for what is right. I am not called to be a manager, but a leader. I must show initiative to solve problems. Problems provide an opportunity to lead. Be a loving, vulnerable, sensitive leader and aggressive and bold. Seek to resolve issues and problems in the home and church. Once a leader knows what he must do to solve a problem (the right thing to do), he is aggressive in doing it, allowing the “chips fall” as they may. There is nothing about leadership that is passive. Today our men need to be taught to be active, bold leaders of their wives, children, and churches. I Corinthians 16 – there is a wide door of effective service God has opened to me, and there are many adversaries (so true of me). Does your wife show more initiative in meeting challenges in your home? Do you “punt” to your wife in dealing with problems in the home? Is it clear to others that your wife takes more initiative or is it clear that you are the leader and that your wife is using her gifts under your leadership? To be passive is to be selfish. Paul is not talking about being an authoritarian or a dictator, but a compassionate, gentle, courageous, decisive leader. We cannot be afraid of decisions. Not rash, but data gathering, praying, and then decisive leaders. Good leaders make good decisions, but great leaders make great second decisions (sometimes we make a decision, but then get more information and must change our decision). We must make our decisions on convictions (true biblical convictions by thinking through the truth). You have to know what you believe, and then make decisions through the grid of your convictions.
4)    Contentment (vv. 18-19): “I will come to you soon if the Lord wills.” “If the Lord wills” is a statement of contentment. “If the Lord wills” is to say “I trust God and am willing to submit to what God decides.” A bold, loving leader makes decisions with readiness to submit to the providential sufferings of God. The sovereignty of God is a crucial doctrine that affects everything (Philippians 4:10-20).

No comments:

Post a Comment